Friday, January 27, 2012

My Style: Colored Backgrounds + Scraps

I have been doing a lot of sketch challenges lately.  I enjoy them, because they force me to push my creativity and try new ideas.  But my favorite thing of all to do is to create my own sketches. So, after a month of mostly posting my entries into sketch challenges, I want to wind up January by posting some of my own designs. 

I love creating layouts with solid-colored backgrounds.  The bright background is eye-catching, and it also provides a fun backdrop against which bits and bobs of scraps and embellishments can really shine.  Since I love color and I love using up scraps, this technique is really "me."

Supplies: October Afternoon patterned papers, stickers, die cuts, and buttons; Wausau Paper cardstock; DMC floss.

The photo above shows a layout of this type that I made for a recent challenge in the Color Room.  The journaling reads: "No more cribs, no more board books.  Hello picture books, hello big boy bed (sort of)."  Putting the crib mattress on the floor was the first step for my son in the process of moving from the crib to a real bed.  :)

I looked through some of my past scrapbooks and found a couple "oldy but goody" layouts that also illustrate this style.  In the photo below you see the layout "May Projects," which documents some things my son made at school during one month.  The projects are: 1. a sprouted corn seed (which we later planted), 2. a flag for Cinco de Mayo, 3. a paper bird, 4. a May Day basket for my husband, and 5. Mother's Day presents. 

Supplies: Wausau Paper cardstock, Jenni Bowlin alphabet stickers, Bo Bunny apple sticker, Hambly rub-on journaling boxes, Jenni Bowlin rub-on birds, Delta stencil, Zig pen.

Supplies: American Crafts cardstock, Colorbok alphabet stickers, Bo Bunny decorative stickers, Sakura pens.


The final layout of this post, which you see above, is called "County Fair."  The is no real journaling on this one--the photos speak for themselves.  It was fun to match my cardstock to the color of the lawn tractor.  :)

For another look at what defines my style, feel free to take a look at my 2011 gallery.

Thanks for looking at my layouts.  Have a great weekend!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your son is a creative person :) also!

Unknown said...

Always cool to see how some one use his/here papers for me its hard to use a white background.I love you color backgrounds and yes its You.
Beautiful work again!
byeeee,Lean

jeanie g said...

Wow I love this fun page Denise, and the other two examples. They look really punchy and vibrant.

Patricia said...

creative, colored.. love yours pages... beautiful!

Ella Swan said...

Very nice new page there Denise - I love all the OA bits & bobs. I love to use plain backgrounds too but have become misting & masking obsessed lately so I usually add a spritz here & there before I start to add my bits...

jacirascrap said...

Adorei seus LO!!! Super coloridos!!