Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Tea & a Card

Hello all, it's Tuesday--time for a T-Day post!  I have Earl Grey in my cup today.  I don't have many tea cups, and I'm afraid you all must be getting tired of seeing this plain white one time after time.  So, I jazzed up the photo by also including a card a I made recently and a doll from my collection.  This is an unusual Russian doll in that she is one solid piece of wood.  That is, she doesn't open.  She's hand painted (artist unknown) in an unusual earth-tone color scheme, and, appropriately for today, she's holding a tea tray.

Supplies: patterned papers from KaiserCraft; ribbon from Scrapbook Fantasies; Candi dot from Craftwork; corner punch from Creative Memories; ink from Hero Arts.

My simple little card also sports a Russian doll image, which I fussy-cut from KaiserCraft paper.  I sent this card to my cousin for her birthday, but I'm thinking of making some more cards like this as Mother's Day cards.  The Russian name for this sort of doll is Matryoshka, which means "little mommy."  So you see that this would be nice symbolism for a Mother's Day card.



To tell the truth, I feel a little sad thinking about Russia right now, because I'm worried about the current situation with Ukraine.  What's going on there is complicated, and even though I read the news reports every morning, I don't feel that I totally understand all aspects of the conflict.  All I know is that I want my friends in both countries to be safe.  I think that the average person, whether Russian or Ukrainian, wants the same thing: to forget about politics and live in peace.  To close out this post, I'm directing you toward a collection of peace-themed scrapbook pages on a Russian blog.  Some are in English, some are not, but you will understand the imagery.  Here's the link: http://scrapberrys.blogspot.ru/2014/03/blog-post_12.html  I hope you'll take a look.  Thanks.

16 comments:

Divers and Sundry said...

i could never get tired of a classic white cup. :)

the situation in ukraine does seem complicated, and i'm sure we never hear the whole story. sad

Rita said...

No war! Yes! Yes! You don't need to speak Russian. Just to see those children...
Lovely doll and card. Happy T-Day! :)

Dianne said...

such a lovely little doll, and what a beautiful card you made! not tired of your white mug at all...I myself keep using the same mug and cup images too...we are recycling, right? happy T day!

Lisa Rukin Swift said...

Alexa has a collection of matryoshka dolls from my Mom and Dad's visits to what was the Soviet Union years and years ago. Love yours and the wonderful card you made too. You're right, this would make for a perfect Mother's Day card. :)

Halle said...

I know someone living in Kiev right now...he and his family are holding out...praying for the best. They love it there but I could see them having to return to MN. Sad.

Craftymoose Crafts said...

The Matryoshka doll is lovely--don't think I have ever seen one that doesn't open. We have several that we got on our trip to Russia. Beautiful card, too!

Linda Kunsman said...

what a beautiful card and very much like the doll you photographed with it. Happy T day to you!

Darla said...

Like your card a lot. Thanks for the link. We get news from afar but people in Russia and the Ukraine are right in the middle of things.

Darla

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Like you, Denise, I also have very few cups and mugs. I recycle mine, too. White will always be a favorite color of mine.

I see the news, I hear what the Russian people want, I hear what my friends have to say, and I am still confused about this situation. I don't think we'll ever know the real story, but I hope and pray for peace, which we all need and want.

Thank you for sharing your lovely doll and card this T Tuesday.

Kirsty Vittetoe said...

Oh my gosh, how sweet is this!!

Cassandra aka Scrap Savvy said...

Wonderful card and like how you posed the photo. Here's hoping for peace and stability.

Unknown said...

Sweet card Denise. I definitely think making more is a good idea. Been thinking of you and your Russian family and hoping all is well for them.

Patricia said...

a very beautiful card...

Eila Sandberg said...

As has been said before me, no need to understand Russian to feel what every single person on earth does. We are united by the same soul that strives for love, peace and having a life where there is no need to fear snipers or bombs. That's all we want, to be loved and to love in a world without fear. Almost forgot to say that you have created such a wonderful card Denise, perfect mother's day card too! Happy Easter sweetie! xoxo

Denise van Deventer said...

Great card Denise and love that little Russian doll image! Matryashka, I think that's how it was spelt...kinda links into Matriarch...I thought that was interesting! Any country conflicts are worrying, because the politicians inevitably result to war as a solution...and it never solves anything!! I really hope they can sort things out without war or violence!

Mary Jo said...

I love Matryoshka dolls. I always have since I was a little girl! And I love your card.
I wish I knew more about what was going on over there as well. It is so hard to understand sometimes and I never feel like we get the true stories from the media.