Thursday, April 10, 2014

10 on the 10th: Spring Colors



Hello folks, welcome to the latest edition of "Ten on the Tenth," my monthly de-stashing series.  This month I created with supplies whose colors reminded me of spring.  Before I show you what I made, let me show you the supplies that I used.  All ten items appear in the pair of photos below.

Item 1 (base): teal cardstock from Bazzill; item 2 (base): green cardstock from Wausau Paper; item 3 (patterned paper): white paper with clustered motifs from American Crafts; item 4 (patterned paper): rainbow/cloud paper from Bella Blvd; item 5 (embellishments): set of journaling cards from Crate Paper; item 6 (embellishments): pair of chipboard butterflies from DCWV.

Item 7 (throwaway item): small paper treat bag; item 8 (throwaway item): negative portion of used sticker sheet from Hallmark; item 9 (nonconusmable item): butterfly stamp from Hero Arts; item 10 (nonconsumable item): bird stamp from Hero Arts.

Now, onto the three items that I made with these supplies.  First of all I made a 12x12" scrapbook layout called "Cookie Day."  I have already blogged about it in my last post.


I had a ball making that colorful, happy layout.  However, I used both sheets of cardstock and a significant portion of of both sheets of patterned paper...which left me with very little paper for the following two projects!  Luckily, I was up for the challenge.  :)

Additional supplies: brown ink from Tsukineko; spray inks & round alphabet stickers from October Afternoon; number & punctuation stickers from Lily Bee.

I decided to use a scrap of the white American Crafts paper to make a birthday card.  I used the large chipboard butterfly as a mask and created a misted design.  The chipboard held up surprisingly well, and I was able to save it for future use.


I accidentally let a mist droplet fall in the middle of the butterfly--eek!  But then my husband suggested that I cover the mistake with stickers.  The crisis was averted, thanks to my hubby.  :)


I fussy-cut the little yellow flag from the American Crafts paper.  The homespun white heart coordinates with the white masked butterfly.

Additional supplies: corner rounder from Creative Memories; ink from Hero Arts.

In contrast to the light, airy outside of the card, the inside is a riot of intense greens and blues.  I added one more white scrap of paper, so that I would have space to write a birthday message for the card recipient.

Additional supplies: 4x6" card from Fancy Pants; pens from Zig; flower from my stash; ink from Tsukineko.

For my final project, I just had a few scraps to use.  I decided to make a page in my "December Memories" album.  The little treat bag functions as an envelope to hold a Christmas letter from my husband's great-aunt, Millie.  Although the pastel colors and butterfly motifs of this page are not typical for December, they perfectly reflect Millie's personality.  Despite her age and health issues, she is positive and upbeat--a real breath of fresh air.


As you can see, it's easy to slide Millie's letter out of the bag to read.


And here is one last photo, this time with the page outside of the album (the colors appear more true-to-life when there is no interference from the plastic page protector).

Speaking of my December Memories album--I finished it!  Hooray!!!  I'll have to show you a few of the other pages from the album soon.  But that's a different post.  Until then, take care.  :)

3 comments:

Carol L said...

You are incredibly resourceful in the way you use items that normally might get thrown away! Everything is so so pretty!

Denise van Deventer said...

Super projects Denise! You are doing a super job of using your stash! Waaaaay cool!

Patricia said...

very beauitful !