Friday, March 22, 2013

It's the Weekend! (OUAS)

Whoosh!  In my family, weekends are filled with energy and activity, and they sure fly by fast!  I wanted to capture that feeling in my layout for this month's Once upon a...Sketch challenge, since the theme for March is "weekends."

Supplies: cardstock by Bazzill; stamps by My Mind's Eye; ink by Hero Arts; paint by Deco Art; doilies by Royal Consumer Products; photo-editing software by digiKam.

This is the sketch for March...


...and I rotated it ninety degrees to suit my landscape-orientation photo, like so:


I started with my photo, an action shot of my son in his kung fu class.  Words are an important component of any OUAS layout, and this time I placed my title and journaling directly on my photo, so that they wouldn't get lost in the busy-ness of the page.


I wanted all the embellishment that I added to the page to reflect the idea of movement and energy.  I achieved a lot of this through different stamping techniques.

Seeing double is a sure sign that things are moving fast!  I double-stamped the rocket ships in green and black ink.

I layered stamped images in black and green ink.

And then I layered some more stamped images, for an even greater sense of movement.

I dragged the chevron stamp around the edges of the page to create a border.

I also used the string painting technique to add energetic swirls of sparkly green paint to my layout.



Finally, I layered some green doilies behind the photo of my son.    Their metallic, reflective surface adds oomph to the page.


This layout is a bit different from my usual style, but I think it perfectly reflects the atmosphere of weekends in the Price family.

Speaking of weekends, I hope that yours is off to a good start.  Thanks for stopping by my blog today!

8 comments:

Angi Barrs said...

Love that fabulous green!

Cassandra aka Scrap Savvy said...

Love the title and your use of greens.:)

Chantalle said...

You've definately captured the movement in this layout! The kraft, green and black go great together. Thanks for playing along with us at OUAS!

Unknown said...

Wow, I really LOVE the bright green- amazing! Thanks so much for joining us @ OUAS~!!

xErin

Sharon Fritchman said...

You did such an amazing job with the sketch! I love the color scheme and all of your wonderful techniques! The photo And your title are wonderful!

Denise van Deventer said...

Super layout Denise and yes, weekends certanly seem to fly by!!
Love the photo! ;-)

ANUPAMA CHOUDARY said...

Love the dynamic elements...the stamping and the swirls in green!

Lynette Jacobs said...

I love the energy in the photo...and I love how your artistic talent created this gorgeous background for the lovely photo.