Sunday, July 1, 2012

Yo-Yo Flower

Supplies: patterned paper (My Mind's Eye), Rub-ons (My Mind's Eye), alphabet stickers (October Afternoon), plastic buttons (October Afternoon), wooden button (Blumenthal Lansing), white thread (Singer), brown thread (DMC), household items (denim fabric scraps, stapler).

If you blinked, you might have missed this layout.  I only had it posted for a few days, then it was accepted for publication, so I had to remove it from my blog temporarily.  The waiting is over, though, and "Chillaxin' at Home" is back on Green Crafting.


This layout was published in the May issue of Scrap n' Art, in an article on flowers.  The layout features a handmade bloom made from an old denim work shirt.



Want to make your own denim yo-yo flower like this?  Using a saucer or small dessert/salad plate as a template, cut a circle from denim fabric.  (Tip: scraps from soft, flexible denim shirts are easier to manipulate than scraps from stiff blue jeans.)  Sew a running stitch along the edge of the circle, bunching the fabric as you go.  Tie off the thread when you are done forming the flower.

Next, layer a fussy-cut hexagon and a button atop the yo-yo flower, AND layer a small scrap of paper underneath the flower, directly below the hexagon.  Sew all these layers together.  By doing so, you will create a decorative center for your flower with the hexagon and button, and you will also create a place (the scrap of paper) to adhere glue dots to your flower.  Add your glue dots and attach the flower to your layout.

Thanks for "chillaxin'" at my blog today!  I'll leave you with a few more detail shots of the layout.


Like I mentioned before, I've been addicted to using staples on my layouts lately.

What looks like a stamp is actually a rub-on!  Thank you, My Mind's Eye! 


There are so many uses for denim scraps!

9 comments:

Luciana said...

Wonderful work, Denise!!! I loved!

ANUPAMA CHOUDARY said...

Congratulations on the publication! Love the denim touches. Keep upcycling :)

Mitralee said...

DELISH yo yo flower! Love staples too, they make me so happy! Great page with a great title!

Ella Swan said...

Gorgeous layout & love the yoyo flower! COngrats on the pub!!

jeanie g said...

Love the flower and congrats on the feature too. xx

Mary Jo said...

So, so cute!
And congrats on the pub :)

Patricia said...

this yo yo is wonderful.. BRAVO!!!

Kate Vickers said...

I love your yo-yo and the layout! So cute. :)

Dani Cristina said...

Wonderful page,Denise!
I loved your picture :)