Saturday, June 23, 2012

Scrapping with Household Items

I've had a good flow of creative ideas going lately, where one project has naturally led to the next...and today is no exception.

In my last post, I wrote about using household items--postage stamps--to embellish a mini album.  For today's post, I'll be showing you another project that I made with the help of household items.  This time my project is a layout, and I made it with the help of a humble dinner plate and a stapler.

Supplies: patterned paper, die-cuts, and alphabet stickers all by Lily Bee Design; label sticker by Jillibean Soup; border sticker by Doodlebug Design; ink by Clearsnap; twine by Crystal Palace (Panda Superwash).

I only make single-photo pages when I want to showcase a photo that I really, really, REALLY love.  This snapshot of my son and husband is one of those beloved photos.  To give the photo the attention it deserves, I designed my page with clusters of embellishment that lead the eye around the page.  It's sort of the design equivalent of drawing a big circle around the photo.  In fact, I drove this idea home by using a big semicircle as a backdrop.  Furthermore,  I fashioned some of my embellishment clusters vaguely in the form of arrows, in order to direct viewers' eyes exactly where I want them to go.  (Yeah, subtlety is not my strong suit, LOL.)



Some scrappers have fancy circle scissors or die-cutting machines that they use to create perfect circles.  Me?  I just trace around plates or other round objects to form my circles.  I always keep one plastic dinner plate in my scrap room for just this purpose, plus I keep a second plastic dinner plate in my crop bag at all times.

One of the visual "arrows" I created was made by folding down the top, right-hand corner of the layout.  I stapled it in place with a regular office stapler.  For some reason, I've been a little obsessed with using staples on my craft projects lately.  I'm sure you'll be seeing this technique used a lot on my blog in the near future.  Oh, and I should mention that I did not use a full sheet of 12x12" paper to back this layout; I just used a little scrap behind the folded-over corner.  Waste not, want not--that's my motto!

That's it for today's share.  Thanks for stopping by my blog, and have a great weekend!

8 comments:

Eila Sandberg said...

I see you like the Lily Bee alphas too. They go so well with your clean style.

jeanie g said...

A girl after my own heart Denice. I do have a basic cutting machine now as cutting out is hard on my hands but I always did it your way before. Love this cheery LO and the Lily Bee alphas.

Patricia said...

adore this page : the colors are fabulous!

ANUPAMA CHOUDARY said...

I love getting the most of my scraps like you. My fancy cutterbee nested circles & ovals are simply gathering dust. I too find it easy to use lids and plates. Nice pic, Denise and sweet page!

Denise van Deventer said...

Super layout Denise..I love the colours you used and the sentiment! Gorgeous!

Svetlana Austin said...

Denise, your LOs are always are so bright and happy! great work! I also use plates to make circles for my LOs :-)))

Nida Razali said...

great idea with the plate! great layout too!

Ella Swan said...

This is lovely! I love my stapler too and although I have a couple of circle cutters often I use a plate too!!