Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Let's Celebrate with Cake

For the third month in a row, I have a layout published in Scrap n' Art magazine.  I really do not know how I got so lucky.  All I can say is that I'm overjoyed.  Scrap n' Art represents all that I love in the world of papercrafting: a mix of styles (from graphic to shabby chic), a mix of contributers (from all over the world), and a mix of projects (including layouts, cards, off-the-page items, mixed media, and more).  I would encourage anyone to submit to Scrap n' Art; working with this publication month after month has been great.

Each month, Scrap n' Art publishes work centered around a particular theme.  For July, the theme is flags.  Each reader submission project published in Scrap n' Art features the colors of a different country's flag.  My Russophilia is on display for all to see, as my submission this month features the colors of the Russian and Soviet flags.


Of course, I can't show my published layout here on my blog right now.  But, I can show you a different flag-related project that I made recently with my family: the American flag cake that you see pictured above.  Happy Fourth of July!  I also have a layout to share (pictured below) that includes the recipe for this cake.

Supplies: all patterned paper by My Mind's Eye; journaling card by Lily Bee Design; alphabet stickers by October Afternoon; butterfly and floral rub-ons by My Mind's Eye; border rub-on by Hambly Screen Prints; pen by Sakura; misc. items: stapler and natural kitchen twine.

I love using 6x6" mini pads of patterned paper, but I always end up with tons of teeny-tiny scraps.  I decided to create a layout that would reduce my bundle of scraps, and the layout you see above, "Easter Cupcakes," is the result.  Creating it allowed me to use up almost all my scraps from my "Stella and Rose: Gertie" and "Follow Your Heart: Be Amazing" MME mini pads.

And, okay, I know what you're thinking.  The layout shows Easter cupcakes, but the photo above it shows an Independence Day cake.  Well, don't let appearances deceive you, because I used the same recipe to make both cakes.  The difference is just in the decorations.

My husband and my best friend are both gluten-intolerant, so in recent years I've looked high and low for a good gluten-free cake recipe.  There are more and more gluten-free products becoming available in stores, however... a lot of them taste like cardboard.  But, after much experimentation, I've finally come up with a GF (gluten-free) cake recipe that actually tastes great.  So, without further ado, let me share it with you now.

  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
  • In a large bowl, beat together 3/4 cup MILK, 3/4 cup SUGAR, 1/3 cup OIL, 2 teaspoons VANILLA, and 2 EGGS.
  • In a second bowl, stir together 1-2/3 cups GLUTEN FREE FLOUR, 1 teaspoon BAKING POWDER, 1/2 teaspoon BAKING SODA, and 1/4 teaspoon SALT.
  • Combine wet and dry ingredients until just mixed.  Batter will be lumpy--don't let it worry you.
  • Pour batter into cake pan or cupcake tins.  Bake 30 minutes or until done.
  • When cool, frost and decorate as desired.

I've given American measurements for this recipe, but there are many web sites that you can use to convert to other measurement systems--metric, for instance.  Hope you enjoy the cake.  And, if you're celebrating today, then I wish you a Happy Fourth of July!

10 comments:

Mary Jo said...

Fun layout using scraps! :)
And congrats on your pub!!
Sounds like a great magazine and I will have to check it out.

Yummy looking cake, too!
Happy 4th :)

ANUPAMA CHOUDARY said...

Congratulations on the publication, Denise! The cake looks delish :)
Happy 4th of July!

ANUPAMA CHOUDARY said...

Congratulations on the publication, Denise! The cake looks delish :)
Happy 4th of July!

Unknown said...

Would love to try your recipe , what a beautiful page you have made!
And congrats on the published work, how awesome!!!
Happy 4th of July!

June Houck said...

My mom makes this cake every year for the fourth...yummy, pretty, and festive! Happy 4th, Denise!

Patricia said...

this cake is too cute.. and the little scrap of paper on the layout : genious idea.. you are so creative...

Ella Swan said...

Lovely layout and cake - it looks and sounds yummy! Congrats on the pub!!

Carol L said...

Your l/o looks great, and congrats on being published! I'll have a big piece of that cake - yes please :)

jeanie g said...

Wow that cake looks delicious Denise.Thank you for the recipe I have trouble if I eat too much gluten so I'll give this a try. Love the LO using your scraps too.xx

Nirupama said...

Congratulations on getting published. I just had my first project published by them . I love the lo you show here. The rainbow title is perfect.