Sunday, January 13, 2013

Scrap Africa Sketch #13: Bubblologist

I had so much fun playing with Sketch #13 from Scrap Africa!  I started with some cute photos of my son blowing bubbles, and I let the carefree feeling of the photos guide my design choices.  Did you know that blowing bubbles can be quite a science?  Well, to my son it is.  That's why I named this layout "Bubblology."  :)

Supplies: patterned paper by October Afternoon; alphabet stickers by Authentique; epoxy stickers by EK Success; bottle cap by Bottle Cap, Inc.; orange flower charm by Trinket Foundry; metal flowers from Olla Podrida; watercolor paint by Angora; acrylic paint by Plaid Enterprises; pen by Zig.

I recently received in the mail a package that was padded with oversized bubble wrap.  I used this bubble wrap to print a bubbly background with watercolor paints.  Not only did I reuse this bubble wrap as a scrapbooking tool, but I washed it after I was done painting, so that I can use it again another time.


I also used my watercolors to add freestyle borders and journaling lines to my page.  Then I used the string printing technique with acrylic paint to add some brighter orange lines (in the places on the sketch where the zigzag lines are).  I also used acrylic paint to define the edges of my photos.

Journaling: "Mixing just the right combination of bubble solution is lots of fun.  It's like chemistry, but safer, since it's just soapy water."  :)

When it came to embellishing the layout, I added playful bits and pieces in a variety of textures: epoxy stickers, a bottle cap, and metal flowers.  The flowers are eco-friendly: the orange one was made from recycled metal by a Minnesota artist at Trinket Foundry, and the other flowers are vintage pieces from an etsy seller called Olla Podrida.


Thanks for stopping by my blog today to view my layout.  I hope that the cute photos and playful energy in this scrapbook page brought a smile to your face.

ETA:  I just realized that I posted about Sketch #13 on the thirteenth day of 2013.  Ooh--cosmic!  :)

15 comments:

Shinobu Hiramatsu said...

Wow!! This page is really fun!!
I love your colours and painting!!

Carol L said...

I love all those creative touches, like the bubble wrap stamping, and especially the water coloring! They're perfect for your young man's great layout! Who doesn't like bubbles? They're fun at any age :)

Dani Cristina said...

Totally BEAUTIFUL this result_again!!!
So colorful.love the design too.
Hugs.

Mary Jo said...

That bubble wrap paint technique is just gorgeous!!

Lynette Jacobs said...

This is such a fun layout...I love your title and the way you used the bubble wrap to make the dots. So glad you are joining us in the challenges at Scrap Africa.

juscrap said...

This page is really fun!
I love your colours and painting. beautiful LO. hugs

scrapbookertink said...

Love this, great title, made me smile, take care x

Lisa Rukin Swift said...

This is such a fun page! Love the circular, bubble looking title!

Denise van Deventer said...

This is a fabulously fun and bright layout Denise! Love the title word - scientifically thought out ;-)))))
And love that you used circle alphas to match your theme! Such a cute photo too! Thanks so much for playing along with us at Scrap Africa!

Chantalle said...

What a clever idea to use the bubble wrap!

Patricia said...

very very funny layout.. Like this!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

This is ADORABLE! I loveeeeeee the colors and that title is so fun!! Thanks so much for playing along with Scrap Africa!!!

Ella Swan said...

Cool title and just love your watercolour stamping!!

ANUPAMA CHOUDARY said...

"Bubbology"...love the way it sounds! Fun page, Denise :)

Patricia Roebuck said...

Love that title! So adorable and so fun! Love using non-scrappy products too. Came out great!