Thursday, March 8, 2012

Harvest Time (Scrap Africa)

ETA: I was a winner!  Thanks so much to everyone who voted for my layout.

 
Hello!  Happy International Women's Day!  This holiday is not really known in the United States, but it's a big day in Russia, where it's also a holiday to celebrate spring.  It snowed here this morning, alas, so unfortunately I don't feel like it's spring yet.

The layout I'm sharing today is for the current sketch challenge at Scrap Africa.  This was a fun sketch involving both horizontal and vertical elements, as well as some botanical motifs, and I enjoyed working with it.  I made a layout for the childhood album that I'm making for my husband.  He grew up on a farm, and this page, called "Harvest Time," sports a photo of his dad using a combine harvester.

Supplies: patterned paper, rub-ons, and buttons by October Afternoon; brown ink by Versa Mark (Tsukineko); black ink by Autumn Leaves (Stampology); tea stain "ink" drops; faux brads by Candi (Craftwork Cards); vintage twine; lace by Jeanette Crews Designs; pen by Zig.


Here are a few close-ups: 

For this cluster, I layered together a flag (trimmed from the brand identification strip at the bottom of a sheet of patterned paper), a twine bow, a button, and a faux brad.  I love these prong-free cardstock brads called "Candi!"  They are so much easier to use than regular brads.

I made the title with rub-ons, then "underlined" it with a paper strip, twine, and another faux brad.  I added some splatters--here and also in other places on the page--for an "antique" look.

I tucked a loop of lace under the topmost of my three journaling/decorative cards.  There is another loop of lace under the bottom card.

I had so much fun filling each of the three cards with little goodies.  The bottom card houses my journaling, which reads: "Scott's parents grew wheat, oats, barley, and rye.  They also raised hogs and beef cattle.  Harvest time = lots of work!"

Thanks for stopping by to look at my page.  I hope you will get a chance to check out the other challenge participants' layouts as well.

12 comments:

Dolly Daydreams said...

Hi there, so lovely of you to pop by ! Beautiful layout once again, I so do admire you style so much to see here and admire, beautiful details and gorgeous warm colours.

Marie

Chantal Vandenberg said...

Lovely work! I really love the way you did that bow with the button! Gorgeous!

Denise van Deventer said...

This is a really lovely layout Denise! I love the colouring and is very cute!

Cathy Lane said...

Beautiful..xx

Alex said...

Hi Denise! Thank you so much for your sweet words! You made me happy! :) I love the idea of Eco crafting. Beautiful thought!

Love this layout of yours. Those papers and that photo are a perfect match. Great choice! Love the lace loop! Such a pretty detail.

Luciana said...

This layout was very beautiful, Denise! You combine the colors as well, you have an amazing taste!
Thanks for the tip of the LESSology, I put my project there in the challenge!
Kisses!!!

Eila Sandberg said...

LOVE this one Denise! perfect photo and perfect OA papers! the lace loop is really so cute and the buttons are such a neat detail. Have a wonderful weekend! xxx

Unknown said...

Stunning layout! The papers are gorgeous!

Ella Swan said...

Lovely layout Denise!! Love that crochet trim!

Svetlana Austin said...

WOW!!!! Denise I am smitten by your creativity! amazing LO!
thank you for joining us at Scrap Africa! ♥

Unknown said...

stunning Denise! love your layout!

Patricia said...

waouh... I would like to subscribe to your blog .. how do I do?