Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Beach House Home Decor

I'm back today to share another project that I had published in the August issue of Scrap n' Art.  This is a "beach house" style altered picture frame.

Supplies: recycled frame; acrylic paint by Deco Art; teal/purple patterned paper by FabScraps; tan/green patterned paper by Paper Loft; alphabet stickers by Lily Bee; all other stickers by My Mind's Eye; buttons by October Afternoon; burlap by Canvas Corp.; twine by Crystal Palace; household stapler and sandpaper.

Oh, how I love sunny summer days at the beach!  To capture that feeling, I wanted to frame this old photo of my son and husband.  Although I've often seen the "beach house" style depicted in magazines, I had never attempted it before.  (As I Minnesotan, I tend to gravitate more toward a "northwoods" home decor style.)  But now that I've had the enjoyable hands-on experience of distressing the frame, I will definitely use this style again.


It's easy to give a "beach house"-style makeover to an old frame from a thrift store.  Lightly sand the frame, then apply a coat of white acrylic paint.  While the paint is still wet, press some burlap into it at random spots, to add a little texture.  While you're waiting for the painted frame to dry, layer together papers, stickers, and a special photo to fit inside the frame.  After the frame is dry, lightly sand it in random spots, to simulate a weather-worn look.  Embellish the project with buttons, stickers, twine, staples, and hearts cut by hand from the paint-stained burlap--and then your project is done! 



Now it's autumn, and the warmth of summer is fading fast, but I'll always have this home decor piece to brighten my days.

10 comments:

Lynette Jacobs said...

What a stunning way to showcase this lovely photo. Congrats on another publication.

Marília Lopes said...

Loooooooooove this!!!
So many details, so colorful!!

Unknown said...

Lovely work so cool you have been publishd!

Patricia said...

beautiful...

Denise van Deventer said...

This is gorgeous Denise! I love the distressed frame and the super photo you used! I love this "beachy" style...just makes me hear and smell the sea!!

Lisa Rukin Swift said...

This is a great beach project! I love how you incorporated your title into the file tabs!

Carol L said...

Fabulous! I love all the special little elements you added to enhance this great family photo! A perfect memory of a trip to the beach that will be treasured for years to come! Well done!

Ella Swan said...

This is so beautiful Denise! YOu did a really great job & congrats on getting it published too!!

ANUPAMA CHOUDARY said...

I think Scrap n Art should have you on their DT. You make the most amazing projects for them!

Denise Price said...

@ Anupama: Aw, thanks! :) Actually, I worry that the Scrap n' Art folks must be getting sick of me. But every time they send me a message saying that one of my projects has been accepted for publication, they add a line saying that they hope I will submit more projects in the future. So I do. I guess that if they do get tired of me, they will stop publishing me. :)