Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Saint Nicholas Day

Not everyone in the USA celebrates Saint Nicholas Day, but I have a special affection for this holiday.  It's a day dedicated to the real person on whom the legend of Santa Claus is based.

In this spirit of this festive day, I'd like to share three holiday-related projects--a gift jar, a layout, and a card--with you today.


The first project is the gift jar (above).  I'm reusing a jar that I received as a Christmas gift last year.  When I received it, it was filled with peppermint hot chocolate mix.  That hot chocolate mix is long gone, so I've washed the jar and refilled it--this time, with hard candy.  I've dressed the jar up with papers and stickers from the "Peppermint" collection by Crate Paper.  Appropriate, no?  To make the label for the jar, I adhered a tag sticker to cardstock, then trimmed around the edges.  I spelled my message with the Peppermint alphabet stickers, but dotted my "i" with the little circle left over from the hole in the tag.  I reused gold elastic cord (saved from product packaging) to attach the tag to the jar, and I added a gold gel ink dot to the center of the dot on the "i."


Supplies: patterned paper (October Afternoon), cardstock (Bazzill), journaling cards (October Afternoon), pen (Zig), chipboard accents (October Afternoon), "Romance" alphabet stickers (Authentique), all other alphabet stickers (October Afternoon), bottle caps (Bottle Cap Inc.), rub-ons (October Afternoon), ink (Stewart Superior).

The next project I want to show you is a layout.  (ETA: This layout was published in the February, 2013 issue of Scrap n' Art e-zine.)  I challenged myself to create a non-Christmas layout featuring the colors red and green, and I came up with the page that you see above.  Here are a few detail photos...




My last project for today's post also uses October Afternoon products.  I created this card in response to a recent challenge on the OA blog.  The challenge was to create a project incorporating holiday song lyrics.  As with the layout above, I took the romantic route and created this card for my husband.  I mixed some old-ish "Good Cheer" papers with some new-ish "Sidewalks" papers and stickers, threw in three "Modern Homemaker" labels, and mixed and matched an assortment of alphabets.  I think that mixing together different alphabets is sort of my "thing" right now. 



So, there you have it--three projects influenced by the holiday season.  Thanks for stopping by to take a look at them.  Have a great day!

6 comments:

Ella Swan said...

That layout is just too sweet Denise & I just love your tag on your jar & the card!!

Unknown said...

Lovely creations you have made love your page a non christmas page but christmas colors looks so great to!
byebye,Lean

BabyBokChoy said...

Denise, Snuffy's eh?? Is this the one on Snelling??!! I love that place, I've been going since college!!! lol. Your layout is absolutely delightful, the colors are so so so good! Your gift jar is so so so cute!! Good luck with the OA challenge!! I got some new OA papers from 2peas over Black Friday, I can't wait to dig in!! Cheers!!

Cynthia Lloréns said...

Hi sweet first of all thanks for the lovely comments on my blog!!!
You did a amazing and wonderful work!!
I wish a wonderful weekend.
Big kisses and huges from Brazil
Cynthia

Denise Price said...

Thanks for your sweet comments, ladies! In answer to Jing-Jing's question: I didn't know there was a Snuffy's on Snelling, so it's definitely not that one! :)

Anonymous said...

You really make unique and beautiful things!
Очень понравилась открытка такая задорная, веселая и мастерски подобрана бумага- чудесное сочетание!
И просто великолепная страница, нравится ваш вкус к деталям- они очаровательны!