Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Christmas Ornaments from Recycled Juice Lids

In yesterday's post, one of the projects I displayed was a Christmas ornament made from the lid of a can of juice concentrate.  I had so much fun making this ornament, I could not stop at just one.  There is something so appealing about decorating such a cute little round surface.  There are so many different techniques you can try...and you can try a lot of them in one sitting, since small ornaments are quick to create.  This year lots of people on my Christmas list will be getting personalized ornaments from me.  I'd like to share a few with you in this post.


First up is the one you see above.  This ornament is also my take on the November Scrap for Help challenge.  This month the challenge is to make a project on the theme "Christmas wishes."  As always, any project created for Scrap for Help must include at least one recycled item.  My ornament base is, of course, a recycled juice lid, and my other supplies are vintage twine; two Graphic 45 patterned papers; Echo Park mini alphas; a jingle bell; a ribbon scrap; and a cluster of faux holly berries.  The closeup photo below shows that the rectangle of paper says "Best Wishes for Christmas."


Next up is a romantic ornament (below).  I'm entering this one in The Color Room's current challenge.  The "whitewashed" palette in the Color Room this week is a collection of three shades of golden brown, plus white.


To create the snowy texture on this ornament, I temporarily adhered a hand-cut heart mask over a circle of Graphic 45 paper, then applied Deco Art "Snow-Tex" texture medium with a craft stick (see photo below).  I put on a pretty light coat of texture medium, because I wanted a hint of the background paper to be visible beneath the "snow."


Then, I carefully removed the mask (see below) and allowed the "Snow-Tex" to dry overnight.  Please excuse the yellowish tones in my two "in-progress" photos--that's what I get for taking photos at night.


To decorate the heart ornament, I used Reminisce white alpha stickers, more vintage twine, a pearl bead, and an Offray ribbon rose.


The last ornament I have to show you today is the cutesy one in the photo above.  It's not for any contest or challenge; it's just for fun.  I decorated it with a plastic bead, DMC embroidery floss, Echo Park mini alphas, an October Afternoon heart sticker, a fussy-cut snowman (popped up with dimensional adhesive), and some pink snowflake paper.  The snowman and snowflake papers are from an October Afternoon Christmas line that's a couple years old, but I still love these adorable papers.  The pink text on the snowflake paper is the words to "Twas the Night Before Christmas," as you can see in the detail shot below.


Thanks for stopping by my blog today and checking out my collection of fun Christmas ornaments.  I hope that you will try making some of your own, if the spirit moves you.  These ornaments are so versatile, they work for any style.  This is clear in the photo below, where you see the ornaments all together: the romantic, snowy heart; the vintage Christmas wishes; the cutesy snowman; and the CAS "lovebirds" ornament from yesterday's post.  Please see yesterday's post for complete, step-by-step instructions for turning juice can lids into ornaments like these.  Happy crafting!


ETA:  To my surprise and delight, my ornaments are being featured on the Scrap for Help blog for the month of December.  If you've never visited Scrap for Help, I encourage you to check it out.  It's an international papercrafts challenge blog with a focus on using recycled materials.  I feel very honored to have my ornaments featured there.

18 comments:

Eila Sandberg said...

You really are so CLEVER Lisa! these are so totally fabulous! and what a lucky strike the "Molly & Jac" one is just spot on with this week's palette over at TCR! xoxox

Denise Price said...

Luck has nothing to do with it; I planned it that way. :) But thank you so much for your lovely comments!

Anonymous said...

Hi

Beautiful work. Lovely the idea. Kisses

Mary
www.plumaspaetesecia.blogspot.com

sandi said...

Oh these are just wonderful! So cute! Love them all! Tks. for playing with us at SFH!

Linda McClain said...

Oh my. I saw these on the October Afternoon Flickr site - how adorable!

Vicky Varvadouka said...

OMG!!!!! They are stunning! You should open an ETSY store and sell them!!! Seriously!!!!! Love them! Very clever girl!!!
Thanks for playing along at SFH!

Mônica Pinho - Luzearte Atelier said...

Lindos. Criativos. bjs.

Keshet said...

These came out great! Such a clever idea!

Ella Swan said...

These are so fabulous Denise - they look amazing!!

jeanie g said...

Love these mobile hangings Denise. You've given me such inspiration. Lovely work. xx

Marília Lopes said...

Denise I love that!!!
Great idea for christmas!!!
Hugs

Unknown said...

this is beautiful and a cool idea to!
byebye,Lean

Jasmine S said...

How fabulous. Who would have thought you could recycle a juice lid? What a fab idea and I am sure your recipients will love them.

Svjetlana said...

Such a brilliant idea, they all look fantastic, they will make fab little gifts

Cynthia Lloréns said...

Denise look so great and fabulous!!!!
Thanks for play with us in SFH!!
Kisses and huges
Cynthia

jacirascrap said...

Parabéns pelo top 5 também!! Ficaram lindos seus projetos!!

Malú Camargo said...

Denise!!!
Fiquei muito feliz com a sua visita!!!
Obrigado!!!
Há!Adorei estes ornamentos, feitos com tampinhas, reciclar é tudo de bom!!!
Bjos!!!

Marcela Valadares said...

Obrigada pelo comentário, você também esta de parabéns. É um privilégio receber comentários de pessoas talentosas como você.
Bjim e fiquem com Deus...