Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Tea, Mixed Media, and a Fox Poll

It's that funny, in-between time of year.  The calendar says that it's almost spring.  But the snow outside warns us not to get our hopes up too much.  On cold, damp days like this, a spot of coffee or tea is just what we all need.  So, I'm joining in with Elizabeth and Bleubeard's weekly virtual tea party.  Here's what's on my table...


Speaking of cold weather, I have a winter-themed project to share with you today.  Here is the "before" shot...


You may remember this collage that I created back in January, as part of my Ten on the Tenth project.  At the time, I didn't know how I was going to use the collage.  Since then, I have come up with an idea for it.
 
Additional supplies for finished collage: assorted paints and glitter from Ranger; assorted spray inks from October Afternoon; stamping ink from Hero Arts; upcycled bubble wrap; animal stickers from Doodlebug Design; alphabet sticker negatives from Simple Stories; thread from Singer; pen from Zig; spiderweb ribbon from my stash; colored staples from Target.

Ta da!  Above you see the "after" shot.  I made the collage into a wall hanging for my husband's home office.  It features the text of his favorite poem, "Stopping by the Woods on a Snowy Evening" by Robert Frost.


I did some mixed media work on this piece.  Even though I don't do mixed media as often as many of you guys do, I still like it.  It's very "green," since it involves using what is at hand.  For example, on this piece I stamped with bubble wrap, stenciled with alphabet sticker negatives, and misted/masked with a found objects.  Here are some detail shots...



Cute little animal stickers from Doodlebug complete my design.



There is just something about foxes.  So many paper companies have been coming out with adorable fox images.  I thought it would be fun to close out this post by showing you seven of my favorite fox motifs and inviting you to vote for your favorite(s).  The poll is at the top of my sidebar, just below the translation widget.  Here are your choices:


Bella Blvd
image source

Doodlebug Design
image source

Echo Park
image source

Jillibean Soup
image source

Lawn Fawn
image source

October Afternoon
image source

Two Peas in a Bucket
image source

I know some of the images are a bit fuzzy, but you can follow the source links for a clearer look, if you wish.  This is the first time I've ever used the Blogger poll widget, and I hope that I have set everything up correctly!  I do want to let you know that you can vote for more than one fox.  I think it's hard to chose just one.  :)


Vote away, and have a Happy T Day!

 

22 comments:

Crystal Komara said...

Hi Denise, that's a great shot of your tea and whatever yummy treat you have there on the table! And how very creative of you to turn your art into a wall hanging. I've seen how foxes are quite popular everywhere these days. Happy T-day!

Divers and Sundry said...

i want a place at your table :). i like snowmen decorations and the flowers are a bright touch of spring. i'd love to join you for donuts and coffee :)

i voted in your poll, and it said there was 1 vote for each fox. i like the jaunty october afternoon fox best

Denise Price said...

^ Yep, I voted for all seven of them. As I said, they're my seven favorite foxes. :) I checked, and your October Afternoon vote registered. Yay, the poll seems to be working!

Unknown said...

I vote for Lawn Fawn. So cuddly. Foxes are showing up in knitting too. I just read a blog post about a hat patterned with repeating foxes divided with rows of stripes. Trends are funny things.

Nancy said...

Great tea shot :)
The foxes are all cute!
Your art for the wall is super :) and the poem too!
Happy Tea Tuesday :)

Craftymoose Crafts said...

Your wall hanging is so full of texture & color--love it! The flowers make it feel like Spring inside even if the temperatures outside don't! (It was hard to pick just one fox!)

Hettie said...

Mmmn. I fancy that treat you have on your desk. May I have a bite?
Squash in the UK is a concentrated drink that you mix with water or lemonade. It is a low calorie one and made by Robinsons (Wimbledon!)
Thanks for your visit. Having chickens I am not keen on foxes, though they are beautiful animals but not when they are kidnapping my girls!!
Hugs
xx

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

As always, I love your green post. I voted for the Echo Park fox, but it didn't show up, since you said you voted for each. I liked the decidedly Art Deco look of him/her.

What a contradiction your table was today with the snowman and the flowers trying to bloom. Just when we thought spring might actually arrive, we're supposed to get more snow overnight. I think it actually misses you this time.

Thanks for sharing your lovely T post today.

Darla said...

What a nice wall hanging, I've always liked that poem. I enjoyed seeing all the foxes. They do seem popular these days.

Darla

creatorme said...

Happy T-Day!
Oh is that a donut?! It looked so yummy!
Your finished collage looked really nice. I love that added colors and texture. Really helped made it pop!
They are all so cute but I love the 2nd and 5th foxes the best.

Rita said...

This turned out really cute. I do love that poem. Like the fact that you use what you have on hand and recycle. Nice!
Didn't know foxes were becoming popular, but I love them and their red fur! Happy T-Day! :)

Linda Kunsman said...

Happy T day Denise! I love the beautiful and special piece you made for your hubby...and what cute foxes-each and every one.

Krisha said...

WOW! Your hanging turned out fantastic! and the little foxes are adorable.

Have a great week, Happy T-day

Vicki Miller said...

I love all of them! I think your wall hanging is wonderful and thoughtful. As for my fabric, I had to get it for a class in April, I don't often buy fabric, like you I like to recycle.

Unknown said...

Hi Denis! О! as the still life is beautifully built! ! appetizingly! and it is fragrant! flowers are matchless! it is so much inspiration! ! thanks!
collages with animals - are charming! ) ) )

dawn said...

I love that you made this for your husband. I'm sure he loves seeing it in his office and that it's a gift made just for him. IT turned out great.
Yes, foxes are everywhere it seems, even in my ATC swaps they are.
How funny to have the snowman next to your spring blooms. The weather is crazy here too, not sure if spring will finally arrive and leave winter behind.
Thanks for sharing and have a good day!

Patricia said...

magnifique !!! i like this fox and the mixed média is awesome !

Lynette Jacobs said...

I love the cute little foxes.

Lisa Rukin Swift said...

Love the picture with the tea, snowman and flowers. Makes me believe spring will get here eventually. :) Great idea to turn your collage into a wall hanging. I'll bet it looks great in your hubby's office.

Halle said...

Love what you did with the collage!! You truly live up to your blog name. :)

Unknown said...

Wonderful creationns you have made with cool texture and colors...
byebye,Lean

Denise van Deventer said...

Your collage turned into wall hanging is super! Really super and love that poem! Your tea looks yummy too....