Sunday, September 8, 2013

When the Color Room Gives You Lemons...

Last month I had lots of fun making ten projects with my old Bo Bunny Stash (to see them, check back here on September 10 for my Ten on the Tenth post).  With that task behind me, I wanted to make something with my newer Bo Bunny paper from the Trail Mix collection.  I was inspired by this zesty palette from the Color Room!


I used the palette to make this scrapbook page (pictured below), with two "selfy" photos of my husband and me.  The greyscale photo is from last year, and the color photo is from this year.  Both were taken at the Science Museum of Minnesota; the mirrored walls in the paleontology gallery are perfect for taking self portraits.

Supplies: background cardstock from The Paper Company; patterned kraft cardstock from Neenah Paper; woodgrain paper from Kaiser Craft; woodgrain doily paper from Crate; all other patterned paper from Bo Bunny; yellow patterned card, yellow label stickers,  & woodgrain alphabet stickers from October Afternoon; phrase stickers from Simple Stories; vintage playing cards from Olla Podrida; ticket & milk cap from Jenni Bowlin True Vintage; background stamp from Peddler's Pack; gold ink from Tsukineko; black ink from Hero Arts; yellow paint & crackle glaze from Ranger; green paint from Deco Art; pen from Zig; household twine.

I found lots of little treasures to layer under my photos.  Upcycling real vintage items, such as the ticket and playing cards, makes this layout green (eco-friendly).


I couldn't decide which side of this Bo Bunny paper (shown below) I preferred.  So, I tore it into pieces and used both sides!  I also distressed the paper, inked it randomly with swipes of yellow and green (especially along the edges), and coated it with a thin layer of crackle glaze.


Another fun technique I used on this layout was stamping with real plants.  The smaller leaves, which I stamped on the woodgrain doilies (visible to the lower right of the milk cap in the photo below) are from the plant known as Creeping Charlie...


...and the longer stems (shown in the photo below) are from the plant known as Hostas.


Gotta enjoy these plants while they last!  Colder temperatures are just around the corner.  Thanks for stopping by today to view my summery, lemon-fresh layout!

9 comments:

Patricia said...

what a magiacl forest... This layout is awesome !

Unknown said...

Как здорово! Потрясающие снимки! и мне очень нравится страничка.. она почти эко.. натуральные цвета и штампы растениями- очень интересно получилось!!!

Denise van Deventer said...

You are so creative Denise...it always amazes me! Love this earthy, grungy page with all the earthy colours and love that you stamped with real leaves and stems! Beautifully done! ;-)

Lynette Jacobs said...

I love the earth tones and your eco friendly take on the challenge.

Mary Jo said...

Cute photos!
And I love your layered recycled goodies!

Scraps of Elegance said...

Hi Denise. I adore how you added the b/w photo under the color photo. Wonderful little treasures and textures. I'm a new follower.

Anja said...

What a fun page, Denise! I love the earthy feel it has. Great to recycle those goodies, you've used them well!

Lydell Quin said...

Oh I love what you managed to pull off with lemons!!! This looks great, and I love that you upcycled some things too!

Anonymous said...

hehe love your use of the lemons hun this is awesome and how cool are the photos being 12 months apart but taken in the same spot love it. Thanks for playing along with us at TCR