Friday, June 14, 2013

Delicate?

ETA: I'm pleased to share with you the news that this layout won the For Scrappers, From Scrappers challenge.  Maggie would be proud.  :)


On very rare occasions the scrapbooking stars align, and I am able to create one layout sparked by three challenges.  Today is one of those lucky days!  I created a layout about my cat Maggie, inspired by the following challenges: Scrap Around the World, CSI #75, and From Scrappers-For Scrappers.


Supplies: woodgrain paper by KaiserCraft; pink/green paper strip by Basic Grey; pink plaid paper & fussy-cut rose by Graphic 45; all other patterned paper by Lawn Fawn; tulle by Wyla; all ribbon by Scrapbooking Fantasies; paper flower by Petallo; title stickers by October Afternoon; canvas stickers by AMM; mini envelope by DMD; doily by Royal Consumer Products; chevron stamp by My Mind's Eye; ink by Tsukineko; paint & Distress Stain by Ranger; tape by 3M/Scotch; sequins upcycled from old jewelry.

Here is how all three sites inspired me...


Above is the mood board & sketch for SATW.  I loved the cool pastel colors on the mood board, so I decided to use them on my layout.  I also liked the one big, pink flower on the green camera, so I decided to use one big, pink flower on my layout, too.  I followed the sketch pretty literally--it's a delightful, playful sketch.


CSI # 75 has similar pastel colors, so it was easy to combine it with the SATW challenge.  Additional inspiration I drew from the CSI menus includes: chevrons, hearts (on the white ribbon), pops of gold, and the "15+1" list journaling prompt.


The challenge at From Scrappers-For Scrappers is to include a handmade fabric/ribbon flower.  I handmade my flower by folding a strip of tulle fabric in half and sewing a running stitch in the pattern shown above.  I pulled the thread tight, and the flower sprang into being--it really is that easy!  When I sewed my flower to my layout, I added a gold-edged ribbon bow.  I learned this method of flower-making from a book called Elegant Ribbonwork, though the addition of the bow was my own idea. 

And now, here is a look at a few detail shots of the layout...

I added a spiral of the same gold-edged ribbon above the title.


The journaling is on a pull-out sheet, which resides in the mini envelope to the left of my cat's photo.  I typed up (on my typewriter) a list of fifteen of Maggie's characteristics/habits, and put a star by item 15, which says the she "is definitely NOT delicate!"


Below is a closer look at the flower.  While I was adding paint to some of the page elements, I swiped a bit of white paint onto the flower as well, for that added bit of interest.


The banner is made from cut-up and painted-over bits of leftover canvas alphabet stickers.  They don't spell anything; they just look cool.  Anybody been around long enough to remember the scrapbook supply manufacturer AMM (All My Memories)?  These are some old canvas stickers, but since canvas is "cool" again, I decided to breathe some new life into them.


I also used the negative piece from the canvas alphabet stickers as border.  Waste not, want not.  :)


I hope you've enjoyed looking at my layout.  I certainly had fun creating it.  It's Friday afternoon where I am, so I want to close by wishing everyone a nice weekend!!!

19 comments:

Salla said...

Very nice layout, Denise. You have so many great ideas again! I love that you still have a typewriter. I've had to download some old type looking fonts instead. Thanks also for the tulle flower how-to. Looks super easy but I wouldn't have thought of this!

Happy weekend to you, too!

jeanie g said...

Great LO of your cat Denise. Love the typed list in the little pocket and the canvas bunting, cool idea.

Maya Ariffin said...

Hello Denise. Your flower is gorgeous! Thanks for sharing how to make it. About the typewriter, oh my it's so cool! Wish I have one. In brief, I love your layout. :)

Thanks for joining our challenge at FSFS.

Maya xx

Huaína Kélvia said...

Hello

Thanks visiting my blog.
Its flower tulle is cute.

Mona Pendleton said...

So very pretty Denise! Love all the the fancy trimmings and your attention to detail!

Leonie said...

Very nice page, thank you for joining in at SATW. :)

Lynette Jacobs said...

Well done in combining 3 challenges. I love how delicate this color combination turned out. I also like that ribbon technique.

Ella Swan said...

Beautifully layered creation & love that you managed to play 3 challenges & get the perfect result for each! Thanks so much for playing at Scrap Around The World!!

Marilyn said...

Pretty page Denise!! adorable kitty!! Have a great weekend!!

Unknown said...

Sweet page with cool ideas.
byebye,Lean

ANUPAMA CHOUDARY said...

Love your upcycling ideas as always, Denise! Thank you for playing along with Scrap Around the World.

Aline Fonseca said...

Hello Denise!
Thanks!
What a lovely layout! Delicate indeed!
Hugs to you!

juscrap said...

Hi Denise! Soo beautiful page. Love your banner!Thank you for playing along with Scrap Around the World.

Eila Sandberg said...

Hi ya! so wish I had saved my old typewriter, but out it went when I got my first PC. Clever to use up the old canvas stickers, the tulle flower is really so pretty. Love the curled ribbon above your title too. Thanks ever so much for sharing your lovely layout with us at SATW!

RyN said...

Nice take, Denise. Thanks for joining us in FSFS challenge, your flower is simply cool.
I also hunting for old typewriter but it became pricy nowadays :D Lucky you

kLavu, FSFS Dt

Jessy Christopher said...

Love how you interpreted the moodboard & sketch! Your layout looks amazing! Thanks for playing along at SATW!!!

Unknown said...

Awesome job with the 3 challenges here!!!

Dani Cristina said...

Beautiful work, love the work at hand and the +
  result of the layout is amazing!

Christin aka Umenorskan said...

Lovely layout. Thanks for playing along at Scrap Around The World