Tuesday, January 6, 2015

"Vintage" Recipe Page

Hello, everyone!  I'm joining Elizabeth & Bleubeard's T is for Tuesday link party again this week.  Last week I was inspired by T-Tuesday participant Mo, who shared pages from an old Betty Crocker cookbook.  I realized that I have a similar cook book, and I want to share a bit of it today.


This is Betty Crocker's New Dinner for Two cookbook.  Well, it was new in 1964.  :)  I like it and still use it from time to time.  Most of the recipes are quick and simple.  That's my favorite kind of recipe! 


I checked to see whether there were any tea-related recipes in my cookbook.  Though I didn't find and mention of tea, there is a whole page of advice on how to prepare and serve coffee.  And the illustration is adorable, don't you think so?

Supplies: album page from Hallmark; red alphabet stickers, woodgrain alphabet stickers, patterned paper, buttons, & die cuts from October Afternoon; all other stickers from Cosmo Cricket; stamp from PSX; mini envelope from Colorbok; ink from Hero Arts; punch from Creative Memories; thread from Singer; pens from Zig.

Seeing the recipes in my old cookbook reminded me of this scrapbook page that I've had in my draft file for ages.  I'm glad that I'm getting around to sharing it at last.  I created this page at a free class put on jointly by my local library and the Minnesota Historical Society.  It was a class about documenting cherished family recipes on scrapbook pages.  The class was great, with a friendly, knowledgeable teacher.  Lots of materials were available for use in class, including that darling cow cut-out, which is reproduced from a vintage Minnesota cookbook.  If the library ever offers a similar class, I'll definitely sign up again.


I hope that you've enjoyed this vintage-vibe post today.  It's freezing cold here in Minnesota today, so I'll definitely be curling up with a hot cup of tea soon.  Happy T Day!

19 comments:

TwinkleToes2day said...

Delightful!! Thank you for the shout out and being so very kind as to come tell me I had inspired you ((hugs))
Your 'Dinner for Two' book actually reminds ME of a recipe book I was given in 1979, called Cooking for Two, lol :D Well now I know how to make perfect coffee, I shall enjoy it all the more, lol :D
Your scrapbook page is fabulous Denise with it's wee pocket and buttons and the vintage pictures are adorable indeed. Happy T Day!! :D

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

After enjoying Mo's lovely pages last week, I simply forgot to look for my Grandmother's cookbooks. DUH!! Your page is adorable, and the coffee pots are so reminiscent of what I know about that era.

Your scrapbook page is adorable. I was truly impressed, and I bet the teacher was impressed with your scrapbooking skills, too. All those layers are SO lush.

Thanks for sharing your scrapbook page and coffee "art" with us for T this Tuesday.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Just read your question, Denise. I should have read it before I visited, but that's now how I do things (grin). The water was Strawberry-Kiwi and made by Kellogg.

Divers and Sundry said...

The coffee illustration in that vintage cookbook is a treat! It's interesting that there's advice for coffee but not for tea.

I like what you did with your page :)

Lorraine said...

there is something so special about old books love that vintage page

Darla said...

I like old cookbooks and often just read them like a novel. Great page on coffee. I like your page from the class as well.

Darla

froebelsternchen said...

WOnderful post - I so love old cookbooks - great!
Happy T-Day!

~*~Patty S said...

These old cookbooks really do have charm
and
so does your journal page = great details!
Happy T Day Denise
oxo

Linda Kunsman said...

It IS fun to go through old magazines and books! I have some pretty old cookbooks too and I do enjoy the illustrations such as the sweet one you've shared.Your page is wonderful too. Happy T Day!

Krisha said...

I love old cookbooks and magazines, I'll have to dig out some of the ones I've hoarded over the years and share too.

I was reading the hints to keeping coffee war, on your page. It says to use an asbestos try.........LOL What we didn't know back then.

Fantastic scrapbook page!!!!!

Happy T-day

jinxxxygirl said...

Man! I bet it is cold there in MN today. Its cold here in CA in the morning but we are expecting 60's later. LOVE your scrapbook page. And that coffee art is adorable! Happy New Year! and Happy Tday! Hugs! deb

Rita said...

I had a Cooking For Two recipe book from the 70s up until a couple years ago. When I had been a vegetarian for over two years I decided to get rid of a whole slew of recipe books and that one went in the pile. I had too many cookbooks to begin with--LOL! I still have my 1971 Better Homes & Garden's New Cookbook with the red plaid cover, though. I just can't ever part with my first cookbook. ;)
Happy T-Day! :)

Halle said...

I cherish my old cookbooks. And also use them them from time to time. Simple recipes are best. I'm not a fan of measuring. :)
Great page!!

Unknown said...

I remember that class - it was so fun! Your page looks great and the treats so yummy. Wouldn't it be fun to make a scrapbook/recipe book of family favorites?

dawn said...

Hello and Happy T Day! I love this, how cute and fun! Forgot to look for my mom's old book, will have to ask her. How neat all those tips are too and I think a lot of people could use this cook book.
Thanks for sharing!

dawn said...

Forgot to add, how awesome that you did this at the library. Getting together to scrap is always fun. Hope you do get to again.

Karla B said...

I love everything vintage.Love your scrapbook page. It's inspiring!

Heather McMahon said...

Oh wow - how cool is that book? And I love your layout - fabbo!

Lynette Jacobs said...

So cute and bright Denise...I love it. Happy New Year!!!