Sunday, August 10, 2014

Ten on the Tenth: Patriotic Colors

Hi, all!  My summer vacation from "Ten on the Tenth" is over, and I'm back with the latest installment in this de-stashing series.  Ten on the Tenth is a monthly series on my my blog.  Each month I show you how I used ten stash items to create three projects--a card, a layout, and a use-up-the-scraps project. 


This month I'll start by showing you the card (above) that I made.  Instead of a traditional folding card, it's a gift card holder.

Left photo: blue dotted paper from Lily Bee; red starry paper from American Crafts; white cardstock (2 sheets) from Pulp; rubber stamp from Inkadinkadoo; handmade banner stamp; punch card upcycled as stencil; fruit bag mesh.  Right photo: label stickers from October Afternoon (random assortment of sheets with only one or two labels on each); patriotic sticker sheet from Bella Blvd; tree patterned paper (flipside of Lily Bee sheet); star chart patterend paper (flipside of American Crafts sheet).

In the diptych above, you see photos of the supplies that I used.  I chose a red, white, and blue color scheme this time.  For my ten supplies, I used: two sheets of patterned paper, two sheets of white cardstock, 2 types of embellishments (label stickers and decorative stickers), two "upcycled" supplies (a punch card and fruit bag mesh); and two non-consumable supplies (two types of stamps).  I was excited for another chance to use my handmade banner stamp, which I made in May.  Unfortunately, the stamp ripped into pieces when I tried to pick it up.  I don't know whether I stored it incorrectly or it was just too fragile.  But in any case, I was unable to actually use the stamp for Ten on the Tenth.  :(  


Stamp disappointments notwithstanding, I made some fun projects with the other nine supplies from my stash.  Let's get back to the gift card holder that I mentioned at the beginning of this post.  In the photo above, you can see how it looks with the gift card removed.  Below is a closeup of the labels and sentiment.


And here (below) is a picture of the back of the gift card holder, which has "to" and "from" blanks. 

Additional supplies used for gift card holder: wrapping tissue, Zig pen; Candi dots from Craftwork; alphabet stickers (both sizes) from October Afternoon; Tsukineko ink; ReStyle ribbon; household pencil.

Next I'd like to show you the other two projects that I made with my red, white, and blue supplies.  This will just be a quick overview, since I've already blogged about these projects in separate posts.


I made a layout called "AUS Meets USA," which you can read about in this post.


To use up the scraps leftover from making the card and layout, I created a second layout.  It's called "July Stars and Stripes," and you can read about it in this post.


That's it for this Ten on the Tenth post.  But I'll leave you with a teaser photo (above).  The upcoming September Ten on the Tenth post will focus on mini supplies, like the little journaling cards and button stamp shown in the picture.  I look forward to sharing projects with you again soon!

9 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

You always find a way to recycle and get rid of stash, while making beautiful art in the process. I really loved the kangaroo, but the card was a beauty, too.

So, so glad you still take this challenge each month. I look forward to those little note cards in Sept.

Lynette Jacobs said...

Your detaching projects always inspire me to follow suit. Well done Denise.

Patricia said...

all is beautiful : cards and layouts !!!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Denise, thanks for asking about the Tyvek. I never burned my first Tyvek to the point where it split and made holes. But the second batch I did manage to get a few too hot, and they developed holes. Tyvek is NOT plastic, at least not like any plastic I'm familiar with. You know, the stuff that melts all over your body or craft table. And it didn't smell, either. At least I didn't smell anything, and I was in a small room with no AC or fan on.

I hope you decide to play with it.

Carol L said...

Love the gift card holder, and the layouts you create always amaze me! well done!

Caz said...

That gift card holder is such a fun idea!!

Patricia Roebuck said...

So creative and clever, well done!

Anne said...

I love your Australian animals layout!
Did they have any white cockatoos at the zoo?
I love kookaburras I use to to have one that use to come to my window and tap on the window with its big beak wanting something to eat!
My old neighbours use to feed it then they moved away so the kookaburra use to come to my place for a snack but it only hung around for a short time.

Denise van Deventer said...

Super projects Denise...you really are so creative! De-stashing is really so awesome and certainly also gives me a sense of peace and calm and accomplishment!