Thursday, November 21, 2013

Treasured Trinkets

Hello, all!  Are there art fairs, craft bazaars, or other events that you attend on a regular basis?  The Fall Twin Cities Bead Bazaar was this past weekend, but, sadly, I missed it for the first time in years.  I love this event.  When I attend it, I of course buy beads for my jewelry-making, but I also pick up interesting buttons, charms, and other baubles to use in my paper crafting.  Although I missed the show this fall, I want to share with you a scrapbook page that I made with an item purchased at the spring bazaar, which I did attend.
 
Supplies: photorealistic ruler paper from Kaisercraft; file folders, pocket, & all other paper from Teresa Collins; die cut typewriter keys from Graphic 45; flair badges & die cut labels from October Afternoon; word stickers from My Mind's Eye; all other stickers from Basic Grey; thread from DMC; cameo from Olla Podrida; pen from Creative Memories; crackle glaze from Ranger.

The page above, entitled "Graduation," features a vintage cameo from a Twin Cities seller named Stephanie Gard Buss (aka "Olla Podrida").  I always make sure to visit her stall at the bazaar, because I like buying her vintage items.  I could buy made-in-China, vintage-looking cameos at the scrapbook store. But why do that when I can buy genuine vintage, pre-loved trinkets from Stephanie?  There's nothing like the real thing!


This scrapbook layout has photos of my graduation from the University of Minnesota.  Since I double-majored in Russian and English, I thought it fitting to use papers with Russian text on my layout.


To hold notes and smaller photos, I used a twine-wrapped pocket.


This layout appeared in the May, 2013, issue of Scrap n' Art e-zine.  I have a Thanksgiving card in their current (November, 2013) issue--if you're a Scrap n' Art subscriber, please be sure to check it out.


Here's hoping that I'll be able to attend the Spring Twin Cities Bead Bazaar, when the time comes.  Until then, I still have lots of fun little trinkets from past bazaars to incorporate into my work, so I'm sure you'll be seeing more of them on my blog.  Thanks for your visit today!

15 comments:

fairyrocks said...

Oh, I can only just imagine a bead and button fair. My Magpie Eye would love that. Beautiful layout. That ruler sure needs a second look, I thought it was real. Keep smiling and creating.

Halle said...

Lovely page. I didn't even know about that show...although beads aren't my usual "go-to" item. Good thing...I have too much "stuff" already. :)

Sharon Fritchman said...

BEADS sound great!!! I love your layout, Denise! So beautiful!!!

Dana Tatar said...

Super cool page! I love the Russian text, the buttons and the pocket! Thanks for sharing!

Mary Jo said...

That cameo is fabulous and so much more meaningful.
Great page, too! :)
I don't attend any shows regularly. And it's been ages since I have been to one.
But I wouldn't mind going again :)

Lynette Jacobs said...

I agred, there is nothing quite like the real thing. You really scrapped this memory beautifully Denise.

Patricia said...

very very beautiful.. like the jacket on the page... It is snow in my country and it's very cold !!!

Patricia Roebuck said...

Love the vintage look to this beautiful layout!

Kirsty Vittetoe said...

Gorgeous! Love the fun details!

Unknown said...

Stunnig page you have made love the pocket on it..
byebye,Lean

Denise van Deventer said...

Gorgeous page Denise and love the papers and elements you have used! Such a super photo of you too! ;-)

Ella Swan said...

What a cool layout! I wish there were things like that that I could attend here!! I remember once you wrote about some lovely handmade scrapbooking binders you bought. Please could you remind me of the name of them - I want to look into getting some more as my albums are all full!!

Denise Price said...

Thanks, Helen! The vendor I buy my scrapbooks from is called Pulp. http://www.pulpproducts.com/builder/binders_and_refills/binders_refills_and_more/34

Unknown said...

Love this page! I wish we had craft fairs and stuff where i live :-(

Chantalle said...

...and I SERIOUSLY love this!!