Friday, July 29, 2011

Embellishments from a Box of Tea: July Scrap for Help Project

Hello, friends!  The challenge this month over at the Scrap for Help blog is to create a project that in some way incorporates a cardboard box from any commercial product.  I love the way that the Scrap for Help team encourages this kind of recycling!  For this challenge, guest designer Nadia Cannizzo provided a beautiful sketch that participants were to use.  With these guidelines in mind, I created a layout called "Papa's Mountain" (below).

Supplies: blue cardstock (Echo Park), burgundy cardstock (Bazzill), blue/white floral patterned paper (Pink Paislee), white/green floral paper (Echo Park), fussy-cut clouds and butterfly (Echo Park), fussy-cut white/purple circle (Echo Park), faux postcard (October Afternoon), chipboard accents (DCWV), paper flowers (Petaloo), border stickers (Echo Park), blue alphabet stickers (BasicGrey), green alphabet stickers (October Afternoon), blue circular stickers (Heidi Grace Design), decorative scissors (Fiskars), black pen (Zig), blue pen (Sakura), corner rounder (Creative Memories), ribbon rose (Offray).

The journaling reads: "Located in rural Oregon, Scott's grandparents' house (called "Papa's Mountain") is a lovely wooden home surrounded by lush vegetation."  Sadly, my husband's grandparents both died of cancer in 2005.  I miss them--especially his grandma, who was a great friend to me.  Though I never met her in person, she and I wrote letters and e-mails to each other all the time.  I'm glad that I now have this scrapbook page to memorialize Scott's grandparents and their home.

The cardboard box (below) I used in this layout is from Choice brand tea.  The flavor is "Northwest Blackberry," and I love the stylized picture of a blackberry on the box.  Since Oregon is in the Northwest, the box also ties in with the theme of my layout.


Since I was already using the box, I also decided to incorporate into my layout a wrapper and a tag (below) from a bag of this tea.


The stylized blackberry image became a semi-circular embellishment on my page (below).


I formed the tea bag wrapper into a flower embellishment (below).  I think that the tag looks like a leaf for this flower.  :)


I used my trusty dinner plate as a template for the large circle in the background of the layout.  I created the scalloped blue borders with left-over alphabet stickers (below).  I got this great idea from a magazine.  Now I no longer have a load of "odd" letter stickers (X, Q, Z, etc.) cluttering up my scrapbook stash!


Thank you for looking at my layout.  When it comes to creating page embellishments, I hope I've inspired you to think outside the box.  Or should that actually be "think inside the box?"  :)  In any case, you should keep this kind of homemade embellishments away from the photos on your layouts, since you don't know whether commercial-grade packaging materials are acid-free and archival quality.  If you get a chance to make your own embellies, let me know--I'd love to see what you create!

4 comments:

scrap for help said...

Hi Denise!!!
Great...great idea!!!Lovely layout!!!
Thanks for play with us in scrap for help!!!
Hugs
Marília Lopes

Lean said...

Beautiful page cool idea and agreat take on the sketch....cool the journaling on a postcard.
byebye,Lean and thanks for playing!

Sam Wright said...

Fab LO great idea using packaging in it :-)

Helen Tilbury said...

Thanks for following my blog & for your kind words! Very interesting little blog you have here!!